Bleach Story RPG
Hello, guest!

Welcome to Bleach Story. We hope that you enjoy your stay here. If you are not already a member, please REGISTER. If you are a lucky member, then please log in below.

Thank you.
Bleach Story RPG

AU Bleach Roleplay Forum, where you can create your own RP character.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Critique and suggestions for new system ^_^

Por favor, faça o login para responder

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:07 am

Here’s what I really like about the most recent round of updates: the fact that an organization must be purchased. Of course, this is assuming that it’s an organization of NPCs and not PCs. I mean are you really going to tell RPers that decide they want to work together and form a clique that they can’t because they don’t have enough coins? Anyways, like I said, great idea to have an organization be purchasable.

I also love the idea of having henchman and ally NPCs be purchasable. Previously this was something that could be exploited by someone who chose to make an NPC ally who was infinitely more powerful than their actual character.  

My main critique of the current system is in its redundancy. I mean seriously having RPers purchase things they already trained for? Further still, if they train for something, and they should logically come to possess whatever it is they “train” for, but can’t afford it, then they don’t get it? This is no good. I could easily see an RPer deciding to up and leave if they feel cheated by this, and that’s if they don’t read it first before joining and decide not to join because of it. This works in terms of keeping people from gaining power too quickly, however this is also, potentially, counter intuitive to what an RP like BleachStory does need; INCREASED ACTIVITY! I also think it’s a bad idea to have additional characters be purchasable. Sometimes people lose their muse with one character and need to jump to another in the meantime. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I do think that separate characters need to have separate accounts made for them though. Posts should be made with a character’s respective account. This would decrease potential confusion and also make the RP appear more active in terms of daily logins of different RPers.

I must also say that with the list of necessary apps and forms it’s starting to feel like a stressful job as opposed to an RP where people come to have fun. In my opinion there are few things that RPers should have to fill out forms for: their character, additional abilities, creations, battle NPCs, and other things applicable to their IC character development. I think that additional forms like those for coinage should be filled out by staff. This way it becomes less about pushing the stress of doing so onto the RP, and more about the staff taking care of the system that they are making mandatory. Currently it’s like, you need a form for coins, go to line B, you need a form to spend coins go to line F, you need a form for training go to line D, etc. etc.. Currently it’s like a grocery store going "Give us your money, and then go back to your own home garden and pick the produce that you just paid us for”. It doesn’t seem like the staff understand how daunting all of this seems. Regardless, I’ve been thinking about the general requirements to accomplish anything in this RP and how to change them to make the site more active.

Firstly, it should be stated that all threads which add to a character’s development in terms of acquiring new abilities or increased power, must meet similar standards, Each posts must be a minimum of 200 words. Each thread should also be at least three pages, but most importantly must have an overall sense of being complete (beginning, middle, and end). This must logically align with your character type, their personality, etc.. Next they must be well written with few grammatical errors. Some portion of all threads must be dedicated to whatever it is you are attempting to achieve.

A person may use the same threads for multiple gains as naturally, in character, this is what happens; a character who trains for a new technique also tends to acquire more power and skills in general. A set of required threads in a tier may be used to gain one of each of the available applicable character battle traits (an ability, a technique, a tier, etc.) Cooldowns here mean that they can’t acquire new abilities, techniques, etc., but may still RP. The threads created during this time may be used to acquire additional abilities, techniqies, etc. when the cooldown is over.

Tier 5-X
A character within this tier bracket has much to learn and gains strength relatively easy. A single thread allows for them to ascend into higher tiers. A cooldown consists of a week.

Tier 4-X
A character within this bracket are those starting to understanding their true potential. Five threads allow for them to ascend. A cool down consists of two weeks.

Tier 3-X
A character within this tier bracket now fully understands their power and are well on their way to mastering it completely. It takes ten threads to ascend to higher tiers. A cooldown consists of three weeks.

Tier 2-X
A character within this tier bracket has mastered their powers and from here on must truly push themselves beyond their limits in order to break them. It takes a total of fifteen threads. A cool down consists of a four weeks.  

Tier 1-X
These are among the most powerful beings in existence and those within this bracket hold a power so great that increasing it is near impossible. It takes a total of twenty threads to ascend the ranks. A cool down consists of five weeks.

Coins should be repurposed. While they should still be used to purchase things, the list of things they can be used for should be adjusted. None of what is purchasable should interfere with things the RPer has already worked for in character. I’m talking things like tiers. Coins can however be used to purchase new techniques, items, etc. because the RPer has put in the work over the time it takes to earn the specific number of coins. Here is a list of things which coins should be able to purchase by themselves:

A *bonus sealed technique
A *bonus release technique
A *bonus personal ability
A *bonus release ability
A *bonus item created for yourself
An item created by someone else (free if given by another RPer)
A weaker NPC servant/pawn which can be used in battle
An NPC servant/pawn that is equal in strength and can be used in battle
An NPC ally that is more powerful and can assist in battle
A personal organization of NPCs
Halving the pages in a single required thread
Halving the words in a single required thread
Halving the words in all required threads
Halving the pages in all required threads

Halving the cooldown of your current tier
-Tier 5-X
-Tier 4-X
-Tier 3-X
-Tier 2-X
-Tier 1-X Inapplicable

Removing the cooldown of your current tier
-Tier 5-X
-Tier 4-X
-Tier 3-X
-Tier 2-X
-Tier 1-X Inapplicable

*Note that bonus implies that it’s something they don’t have to train for because they’ve already trained for prior development. They’ve been active enough in acquiring the necessary number of coins and should be rewarded for it. IC these would represent those ass pull moments similar to plot kai.

By switching from strictly word count to required threads we not only encourage activity, but also the elimination of fluff and filler which don't actually contribute to a character's development. This new change would rely more on logic (what works simply works) and less on lengthy posts requirements. This way character (battle and other) devices can be plotted out more carefully overtime instead of in threads which will be made more dense due to trying to cram a whole lot into a lesser number of threads.

So either before they start their required threads or before they finish, an RPer need only let staff know what they'll be going for in this 'chapter' of their character's development and staff will let them know what's expected or should be accomplished in character. The benefit of informing before the start is that you can create a sort of checklist of things to cover of that set period of threads. The downside is you may feel too wrapped up in what staff is looking for and this may result in going over the top with repetition of what's needed just to make sure there is no room for doubt. The upside of waiting until you are near done or have already started is that you can explain how/why certain things were done IC and how they're conducive. The downside if you may have to do another thread if logically the course taken doesn't add up.

edit: Forgot to paste the coin earning ideas I had. This again sticks with the idea of rewarding those who go beyond RP minimums and not just acting like we expect them to go beyond the minimums. Remember, the idea is to encourage, not discourage. Let's show thanks.

Once again, it must be stressed that completing a thread means that it had a clear beginning, middle, and end; a goal, conflict, and resolution, etc..

Completing a roleplay thread that has 5 or more pages.
-5 Pages
-6 Pages
-7 Pages
-8 Pages
-9 Pages
-10 Pages

Completing a thread wherein all roleplay posts have more than 300 words
-300 Words
-400 Words
-500 Words
-600 Words

Completing a well written thread in a week

Roleplaying a NPC for a thread
Training another player's character
Getting on yourself in the OTMs
Participating in a main plot event
Completing an application in 10 days
Taking a needed canon or wanted ad
Inviting someone, who is in the AML
Making 15 roleplay posts in a week

View user profile

on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:18 am

Not a bad idea

View user profile

on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:49 am

Edit made. Forgot to paste the last part.

View user profile

on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Shinigami
Shinigami
Cirujano Nadroj wrote:Here’s what I really like about the most recent round of updates: the fact that an organization must be purchased. Of course, this is assuming that it’s an organization of NPCs and not PCs. I mean are you really going to tell RPers that decide they want to work together and form a clique that they can’t because they don’t have enough coins? Anyways, like I said, great idea to have an organization be purchasable.

I also love the idea of having henchman and ally NPCs be purchasable. Previously this was something that could be exploited by someone who chose to make an NPC ally who was infinitely more powerful than their actual character.  

My main critique of the current system is in its redundancy. I mean seriously having RPers purchase things they already trained for? Further still, if they train for something, and they should logically come to possess whatever it is they “train” for, but can’t afford it, then they don’t get it? This is no good. I could easily see an RPer deciding to up and leave if they feel cheated by this, and that’s if they don’t read it first before joining and decide not to join because of it. This works in terms of keeping people from gaining power too quickly, however this is also, potentially, counter intuitive to what an RP like BleachStory does need; INCREASED ACTIVITY! I also think it’s a bad idea to have additional characters be purchasable. Sometimes people lose their muse with one character and need to jump to another in the meantime. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. I do think that separate characters need to have separate accounts made for them though. Posts should be made with a character’s respective account. This would decrease potential confusion and also make the RP appear more active in terms of daily logins of different RPers.

I must also say that with the list of necessary apps and forms it’s starting to feel like a stressful job as opposed to an RP where people come to have fun. In my opinion there are few things that RPers should have to fill out forms for: their character, additional abilities, creations, battle NPCs, and other things applicable to their IC character development. I think that additional forms like those for coinage should be filled out by staff. This way it becomes less about pushing the stress of doing so onto the RP, and more about the staff taking care of the system that they are making mandatory. Currently it’s like, you need a form for coins, go to line B, you need a form to spend coins go to line F, you need a form for training go to line D, etc. etc.. Currently it’s like a grocery store going "Give us your money, and then go back to your own home garden and pick the produce that you just paid us for”. It doesn’t seem like the staff understand how daunting all of this seems. Regardless, I’ve been thinking about the general requirements to accomplish anything in this RP and how to change them to make the site more active.

Firstly, it should be stated that all threads which add to a character’s development in terms of acquiring new abilities or increased power, must meet similar standards, Each posts must be a minimum of 200 words. Each thread should also be at least three pages, but most importantly must have an overall sense of being complete (beginning, middle, and end). This must logically align with your character type, their personality, etc.. Next they must be well written with few grammatical errors. Some portion of all threads must be dedicated to whatever it is you are attempting to achieve.

A person may use the same threads for multiple gains as naturally, in character, this is what happens; a character who trains for a new technique also tends to acquire more power and skills in general. A set of required threads in a tier may be used to gain one of each of the available applicable character battle traits (an ability, a technique, a tier, etc.) Cooldowns here mean that they can’t acquire new abilities, techniques, etc., but may still RP. The threads created during this time may be used to acquire additional abilities, techniqies, etc. when the cooldown is over.

Tier 5-X
A character within this tier bracket has much to learn and gains strength relatively easy. A single thread allows for them to ascend into higher tiers. A cooldown consists of a week.

Tier 4-X
A character within this bracket are those starting to understanding their true potential. Five threads allow for them to ascend. A cool down consists of two weeks.

Tier 3-X
A character within this tier bracket now fully understands their power and are well on their way to mastering it completely. It takes ten threads to ascend to higher tiers. A cooldown consists of three weeks.

Tier 2-X
A character within this tier bracket has mastered their powers and from here on must truly push themselves beyond their limits in order to break them. It takes a total of fifteen threads. A cool down consists of a four weeks.  

Tier 1-X
These are among the most powerful beings in existence and those within this bracket hold a power so great that increasing it is near impossible. It takes a total of twenty threads to ascend the ranks. A cool down consists of five weeks.

Coins should be repurposed. While they should still be used to purchase things, the list of things they can be used for should be adjusted. None of what is purchasable should interfere with things the RPer has already worked for in character. I’m talking things like tiers. Coins can however be used to purchase new techniques, items, etc. because the RPer has put in the work over the time it takes to earn the specific number of coins. Here is a list of things which coins should be able to purchase by themselves:

A *bonus sealed technique
A *bonus release technique
A *bonus personal ability
A *bonus release ability
A *bonus item created for yourself
An item created by someone else (free if given by another RPer)
A weaker NPC servant/pawn which can be used in battle
An NPC servant/pawn that is equal in strength and can be used in battle
An NPC ally that is more powerful and can assist in battle
A personal organization of NPCs
Halving the pages in a single required thread
Halving the words in a single required thread
Halving the words in all required threads
Halving the pages in all required threads

Halving the cooldown of your current tier
-Tier 5-X
-Tier 4-X
-Tier 3-X
-Tier 2-X
-Tier 1-X Inapplicable

Removing the cooldown of your current tier
-Tier 5-X
-Tier 4-X
-Tier 3-X
-Tier 2-X
-Tier 1-X Inapplicable

*Note that bonus implies that it’s something they don’t have to train for because they’ve already trained for prior development. They’ve been active enough in acquiring the necessary number of coins and should be rewarded for it. IC these would represent those ass pull moments similar to plot kai.

By switching from strictly word count to required threads we not only encourage activity, but also the elimination of fluff and filler which don't actually contribute to a character's development. This new change would rely more on logic (what works simply works) and less on lengthy posts requirements. This way character (battle and other) devices can be plotted out more carefully overtime instead of in threads which will be made more dense due to trying to cram a whole lot into a lesser number of threads.

So either before they start their required threads or before they finish, an RPer need only let staff know what they'll be going for in this 'chapter' of their character's development and staff will let them know what's expected or should be accomplished in character. The benefit of informing before the start is that you can create a sort of checklist of things to cover of that set period of threads. The downside is you may feel too wrapped up in what staff is looking for and this may result in going over the top with repetition of what's needed just to make sure there is no room for doubt. The upside of waiting until you are near done or have already started is that you can explain how/why certain things were done IC and how they're conducive. The downside if you may have to do another thread if logically the course taken doesn't add up.

edit: Forgot to paste the coin earning ideas I had. This again sticks with the idea of rewarding those who go beyond RP minimums and not just acting like we expect them to go beyond the minimums. Remember, the idea is to encourage, not discourage. Let's show thanks.

Once again, it must be stressed that completing a thread means that it had a clear beginning, middle, and end; a goal, conflict, and resolution, etc..

Completing a roleplay thread that has 5 or more pages.
-5 Pages
-6 Pages
-7 Pages
-8 Pages
-9 Pages
-10 Pages

Completing a thread wherein all roleplay posts have more than 300 words
-300 Words
-400 Words
-500 Words
-600 Words

Completing a well written thread in a week

Roleplaying a NPC for a thread
Training another player's character
Getting on yourself in the OTMs
Participating in a main plot event
Completing an application in 10 days
Taking a needed canon or wanted ad
Inviting someone, who is in the AML
Making 15 roleplay posts in a week

- The organization purchase refers to a personal organization of PCs, that has a minimum of three starting members; the needed coins can be easily gathered up by all co-owners of the said organization together. Of course, this doesn't mean you cannot have two characters stick around each other or form a small gang. The purchase simply gives you permission to create your own thread for your organization in the proper board and it will count as a faction, ie. something anyone could join.

- I have to disagree with your opinion on 'redundancy' of the system. Coins reflect the activity of player in question, and activity is prerequisite of training, be it a technique or a release. Instead of not getting what one trained for, one must buy the purchase and then train for it, so no one feels cheated afterwards, as you put it. Additional character slots are, and will be, purchasable for the very same reason. If you are inactive with your other characters, you probably are not going to be very active with your next character - we don't want people to just create characters and then disappear.

- Your idea of a training system seems valid for you, but not for everyone. We have members, who are fairly new to roleplay, and members, that have roleplayed for many years, such as you. I do not see any difference in having 20 threads as a prerequisite for a tier-up or having a set amount of coins as a prerequisite - they are essentially the same thing. You need to complete some threads before tier up in both systems, and they have essentially the same idea. However, in the current training system, the other requirements, like word count, pages and quality, vary depending on what do you want to acquire - in yours, they seem not to. The higher tier you are, more effort you should put on tier training. More over, overseeing the quality of each thread a member participates in seems exhausting in an unnecessary way for the staff.

- I think your suggestion on the purpose of the coins is somewhat far off. This is not the way we want the system to function, but you've given us some thought on 'bonus' techniques, that do not require training. We will discuss this with the staff, and depending on how it goes, there might be an addition to the system. Free technique slots have also been traditionally given as a reward for something, and we are working on something similar to this. Otherwise, I think your ideas for earning coins are nice. They shall be implemented, when we have time.

Thank you for your input. Smile

View user profile

on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:48 am

By forcing things to be spread out over a greater span of threads RPers can focus on pacing themselves and being true to their characters as opposed to having a training thread just because they can. This also encourages increased activity and decentralizes coinage and forms (currently interval despite being OOC facets of the RPing experience). It must also be reiterated that an RPer sets goals for themselves over the course of those threads and the staff determine prior to the completion of those threads whether or not it makes sense. What's the beginning, middle and end of this chapter of your character's existence? What problem do they face and how will they address it? Staff only need to assure that the beginning, climax, and resolution make sense and that threads filling in for each make sense.

Regardless of the intended function, the actual function of the current system is a problem. This is especially the case for myself. You've actually made things several times more difficult than they were. I have no interest in doing more work than others currently of higher tiers to get half as far as they have. I have, for example, started a training and before I got even half way through it, standards were changed which not only require I add more than necessary wordage, but makes it impossible for me to even gain a tier since I won't have enough coins once I'm finished. This puts the coinage system at direct conflict with what should really matter, IC character development. This systems seems to also completely disregard how character development would work for RPers like myself who RP in a linear fashion and concentrate on a single thread at a time. You've given even greater advantage to those who RP in fluid time.

You've potentially wasted my time and efforts and to be honest it comes off as extremely unappreciative for the time I've spent. Appreciation is another benefit of the system I suggest. Again, coinage becomes appreciation which can be spent on bonuses on top of what the RPer has already earned by being active and meeting thread requirements. It's better to have currency as a show of appreciation as opposed to a requirement.

This suggested system is definitely considerate of RP experience. Higher tiers means more planning in regards to the above mentioned chapters. These changes actually make far more sense in terms of tiering up as well since you mentioned quality control. Currently the writing ability of  certain higher up tiers is not to par with the requirements necessary to even gain leadership tier, yet they are still a high level. These changes make things far more fair across the bored because quality is based on what makes sense in terms of IC development as opposed to grammatical components. A series of threads must make sense in order for it to suffice and count towards character skill/power development.

This wouldn't be terribly time consuming for staff as you'd only need to skim to make certain what an RPer said happens actually happens. :baaaaaaad:

View user profile

on Sun May 22, 2016 2:49 am

Good move having IC post award coinage.

This newest addition is a good idea, but it also begs the question, if activity is what matters why isn't IC post worth more? It wasn't previously stated that this was even a possibility, but now that I see it is, it should in truth be all that is needed. It would speak more to the idea of activity being the deciding factor, if posting was the MAIN way to earn coins. It also removes the stress of keeping track of coins for staff RPers must currently deal with.

While the coinage system still shows preference to RPers who choose to have their characters in multiple threads at a time (when compared to those who stick to one thread at a time to prevent continuity issues) this new change could remove the monotonous annoying forms if prices were drastically decreased to reflect posting being the main means of earning. :ohi see :

View user profile

on Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 pm

i has a idea mostly for ic play though

View user profile

on Sat May 28, 2016 3:04 am

From what I'm getting it's best to just wait and save all of your suggestions for later. They're still making updates and probably will be for quite some time.

View user profile
#9Sponsored content 

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Por favor, faça o login para responder

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum